Registration for the course is now open. Just visit the main course website to get started.
The 2013 course will be October 21-25th in Baltimore, Maryland.
The International Faculty Development and Teaching Course is a medical education extravaganza. You thought the 2012 course was huge? Just wait until you see what we have planned for 2013…. Check back for updates on this site and keep up with the course progress on www.iTeachEM.net
The Faculty Development and Teaching Course is a week-long educational experience that combines didactic sessions, group discussions, and interactive workshops. Great care will be taken to ensure that class interactions are lively and that slides and PowerPoint presentations are not the sole teaching modality. Course faculty members will be onsite throughout the conference, ensuring that the learning environment is rich in discussion and that mentoring takes a central role in participants’ overall experience. Participants will attend an educational session that is part of our emergency medicine residency weekly conference and will learn cutting-edge techniques on how to incorporate the use of simulation and procedural education into their own clinical practice and educational programs. Attendees will also tour the adult emergency department at the University of Maryland Medical Center and the clinical areas of the R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center.
We want to make it very clear that this is NOT a course based on a “this is how we do it in the USA” approach. We are very aware that attendees are from different backgrounds and have different resources. What we teach are the universal applications of medical education and faculty development.
What’s new in store for 2013? I’m glad you asked…
- even more sessions on educational technology
- enhanced sessions on making your own podcast and digital media and how to get them out to the world!
- awesome guest speakers
- full-day procedure and simulation labs (teach the teacher)
- addition of how to teach ultrasound
- shorter days to allow for more time to enjoy Baltimore, the greatest city on Earth!
- more interactive sessions
- “flip the course” model of teaching-some of the 2012 lectures will be delivered to course attendees before the course, so more interaction can take place during the live course. Paid registrants will receive a “flip the course” learning packet prior to the course.
- tons of networking opportunities with course teaching faculty and with other attendees
- group dinners (even more than 2012)
- mentoring from emergency medicine faculty who are dedicated to the cause and who are invested in helping you achieve success in your career
- and MUCH MUCH MORE!
You are in for a treat, because the faculty for the faculty development and teaching course are enthusiastic, energetic, and well-known educators in emergency medicine and critical care medicine. In addition to Amal Mattu, Rob Rogers, Terry Mulligan, Haney Mallemat, and many others, we will have three very special guest speakers this year.
The 2012 course was a great success, and we have lots of new and exciting stuff to add to the 2013 course. More interaction, more teaching labs, more fun educational technology toys to play with, addition of how to teach ultrasound, and lots lots more. You won’t want to miss this premiere event in medical education and faculty development.
We are looking at paid streaming options for the 2013 course….check back later in 2013 for updates on this.
“How you teach matters”
Our goal is to provide course participants with…
- a framework for faculty development that will help you advance in your career and return home, ready to make valuable contributions to your department and medical facility
- cutting-edge information that will dramatically improve your skills as medical educator
- short-term and long-term mentoring in a faculty development and medical education project
- an established relationship with the course faculty for long-term career enhancement
The Faculty Development and Teaching Course is designed specifically to meet the career development needs of international emergency and critical care physicians. It is intended for physicians who seek to enhance their own development as faculty members, to improve their skills as medical educators, and to participate in the development of emergency medicine and critical care medicine in their home countries.
The course is also open to US emergency and critical care physicians.
We are seeking endorsement of the course from international emergency medicine societies, and I am proud to announce that our first endorsement is from our friends in Turkey.
The International Teaching Course is officially endorsed by the Emergency Medicine Association of Turkey (EMAT).
Our second endorsement comes from our friends in Chile. The Sociedad Chilena de Medicina de Urgencia has officially endorsed the international teaching course.
We are also delighted to announce that we just received endorsement of the course from The European Society for Emergency Medicine (EuSEM) and The International Federation for Emergency Medicine (IFEM)!!
Coming soon! So many positive comments about the 2012 course to sort out…
“An excellent course with fabulous teachers covering interesting and unique material in a comfortable setting. Wonderful interaction with international participants. As a young physician, the material I learned in this course is definitely a jump start for my career in academics!”
Registration for the course is open as of February 8th, 2013. All you need to do is go to the main course website and type in your information to reserve your spot. The registration process utilizes PayPal and is very easy. If you have any questions about the registration process please send an email to Kristin Cioffi: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The cost of the course is as follows:
- Faculty-$2,500 USD